Saturday, April 11, 2009

Onsen (Japanese Bath House)

Today, a group of five of us went to an Onsen. An Onsen is a Japanese style bath house that is located around a volcanic hot springs. The bath house gets some of the water from the hot springs for its baths. Here is how it works:

The entrance fee is 500 yen (5 USD), but renting a towel costs an extra 2 dollars. As you walk in, there are tatami mats on the left with a big screen tv, and a full size restaurant on the right with Japanese style seating (on the floor on cushions). The floor and walls are all made out of wood or bamboo. In an adjacent room there are tables for professional massages. Then, after walking down a long hallway, the guys and girls split up.

I enter the locker room and there are men everywhere; no one is wearing any clothes. After a little hesitation, I take off my clothes and store my stuff in a locker. Stark naked, I proceed to the baths. The first room is fairly large and indoors. To the right are 2 stand-up showers (no one is using them) and to the left are Japanese style showers (if you can even call them showers). Basically, you sit on a little stool and in front of u is a shower-head on a rope, a bucket for water, and a mirror. Men are squatting on these buckets, furiously scrubbing themselves with the provided soap. The floor has drains everywhere, but it still a soaked mess of water and suds. Also inside are 4 different baths. These ones have normal water in them. In one, you can lie down and jets massage your back. In another, you stand up in front of jets. And also then there is a cold water bath. Also, inside is a sauna that is set to 80 degrees Celsius (176 F)! Jeebus! Most of the water in the indoor baths wasn't too hot; set at about 39 celsius (102 F).

Outside was a whole different story. There are baths outside, but they don't have normal water. Instead, they have water taken from the hot springs. The water is black and opaque; u can't even see your hands when they are held inches below the water. One of the pools is about 42 celsius (108 F) and another was 45 Celsius (113 F)! I couldn't sit in there for more than a few minutes. Also outside are what looks like giant planters filled with more volcanic water. After soaking for an hour in all the different pools, I took a "shower" while squatting on my stool. I was able to shave and etc as well. After using the hot baths, it is traditional to drink a glass of cold milk. They had vending machines right outside for that very purpose. It was the best glass of milk I have ever had. We then ate a relaxing lunch and headed home.

Right now, 7 hours later, I still feel relaxed and rejuvenated. My skin is softer than ever, and my mind clear.

I wish that I could have taken pictures, but of course that is not allowed. Here are some pictures that I found online that are similar to what I saw:




1 comment:

  1. Wow, Eric, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time and absorbing a lot of Japanese culture! Your photos are great. I'm glad the dorm room isn't as tiny as you thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete