Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Harajuku District, Tokyo

On Monday, in Tokyo, we had a mandatory meeting with the other foreign exchange students and all the visiting professors. The meeting was fairly boring, but had a large buffet of some great food. I met another guy that happens to like the same kind of music that I do, so we're going to meet up and see some local Metal bands play in Tokyo (I've always wanted to see a heavy metal concert in Tokyo since it has a huge music culture).

After the orientation, I, once again, lead the group on an adventure. This time, since we were already in Tokyo, we went to the Harajuku district. Harajuku is known as the center for the counter-culture of Japan. Honestly, it has become more of a shopping district now. There were a couple main streets jammed with people and little clothing shops. The clothes were really unique and stylish, but everything was too small for me, even size Large. The girls had a good time.

I expected to see a lot of Japanese people dressed like freaks, but, for the first time since I arrived in Japan, I was disappointed. However, the district is known for its crepes, and they were AMAZING.

Here are some pictures:





The best experience of the day was on the train ride back. It was late, around 11 pm, so everyone is in a rush to make the last few trains before they shut down. You have all heard stories about how the trains get very crowded and etc in Tokyo. You don't know the half of it. I saw the train pull up, and I thought that we would have to wait for the next one because it was already full. But no, you don't wait. Instead, 20 Americans + some drunk business men jam into the train. I have never been so squished in my life. You could not hold onto the hand rails or anything because your arms are pinned to your sides. If the train turned, you would just lean on the person next to you. Everyone swayed together. It was also hot as hell because you are breathing everyone else's air. I would have taken a picture, but there was no way I could have gotten out my camera. That was certainly an interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment