Friday, April 3, 2009

4-3-09 Seeing Campus and All-you-can-drink Dinner

I'm a little behind on my posts, so please excuse my briefness.
Today we saw our campus for the first time. The walk up to campus was beautiful. The street was lined with Sakura Trees, or Cherry Blossoms, that were in full bloom:



On Campus, the students were promoting clubs in the main quad area. Our group of 25 Americans had to walk through this gauntlet of terror. I was truly intimidated because EVERY Japanese student had to stop and stare at us, especially at the white people. The abundance of attention was way too overwhelming.

I met my Japanese "buddies" soon after and I immediately connected with them. Their names are Daisuke and Humi. They showed me around campus while more Japanese students gaped at me.



That night was a lot of fun. 15 or so of us and a few Japanese went to this special restaurant. In the restaurant are a bunch of little rooms with a big table and many seats. In our room, instead of chairs there was a booth-like bench with a zebra pattern. The walls were glittery and a disco ball hung from the center of the ceiling. On the far wall was a TV. None of the Americans had any idea what was going on. The Japanese students then explained to us that the restaurant is all-you-can-drink, family style food, and karaoke for only $30! After 20 minutes and 3 rounds of drinks, people get drunk and the Karaoke comes on. I never thought that out-of-pitch singing in a group setting could be so fun.

Here are a few pictures:






In my drunken stupor, I run into a few Japanese businessmen on my way to the bathroom. They are obviously trashed also. I talk in broken Japanese and he speaks to me in broken English. Apparently, he's an engineer and his company is building a shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I thought that was so cool. I hope it gets built.



What a great day. I really love it here in Japan. I'm having such a great time, meeting great people, and experiencing a totally different and new culture. I feel so lucky that I have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment